Artificial Intelligence has reached a stage where it can be applied to every industry. Even though AI has been introduced a long time ago, there wasn’t much progress in its applications. Lately, this industry is booming and efforts are being made to adopt AI in all possible realms to improve performance and accuracy in works that require repetition.
From chess-playing computers to automated cars, AI has become a norm in the everyday life of people. However, due to an increase in the involvement of AI in various industries, certain jobs are being jeopardized and this has led people to compete with AI for their jobs.
Wrong Ideas About AI
This is a grave, yet justifiable issue as people are paranoid that their jobs and livelihood can be stolen from them, owing to the increase of intelligence among the machinery. However, the term AI has often been misconstrued and incorrectly used.
This happens in either of the two ways. One, some sensor-based mechanism is tagged as AI to create a buzz, or two, AI is thought to be some computer much more competent than humans that could take over the world. Both these ideas of AI are wrong and have negative effects on the psyche of people. People, especially non-experts struggle to keep up with various definitions and ultimately decide to shun the idea of having AI in their workplace.
How to strike a balance between humans and AI?
- Firstly, to increase the cooperation between human beings and AI, people must be clarified about what exactly AI, ML, CNN, etc. are, and how they work. For starters, what we often believe to be AI is mostly machine learning, a subset of AI that comprises all the basic models of AI and is currently most researched about. Let’s take an example. Image recognition is a basic concept of machine learning. If you take a machine and feed millions of pictures of cats, and then you show it a picture that is not in the list, and the machine successfully identifies the image to be a cat, you’ve taught a machine. If concepts similar to this are explained as simply to the people, they will understand the essence of AI and probably be more receptive and open towards it.
- Secondly, it’s necessary to make people understand that AI can make a workplace with fewer humans, and more humane. Physically challenging or monotonous tasks, when taken over by AI, will push human beings up the ladder of skill sets. It is not an easy process. But due to this revolution, human beings will be pushed to more creative, critical and mentally challenging tasks. AI can be the future of more intelligent human species. It is useful to point out that AI never replaces a job. AI replaces a few skills in certain jobs. For instance, a software developer requires a range of skills that involve following a particular process as well as taking independent intuitive decisions. If AI replaces the repetitive aspect of the job, the intuitive aspect still can be retained by the developer. Explaining this to people can encourage them to work together with AI to better their performance.
- Thirdly, combining human skills with that of a machine can have tremendous benefits in all the sectors.
Artificial Intelligence vs Human Being
- In defense sectors, AI can be used to make robots that are programmed to go on the field and thus prevent loss of human life in the time of war.
- AI In cybersecurity, AI can be used to detect threats and malware and be trained to learn from their general behavior so that researchers can develop a means to fight against it.
- In medicine, AI has a lot of benefits. With collaborative effort by humans and machines, cancer detection accuracy can be improved. Surgeries that require precision can be performed by AI while medical professionals direct and instruct them. AI can be used to store the database of millions of patients for accurate detection of disease and cure. Test results can be produced faster owing to the speed and accuracy of AI which will help doctors recognize ailments and suggest treatments faster. AI can spot patterns in the general occurrence of illness in a population and thus, tell about the genetic health of the same population.
- Other than the above, AI can improve land and air traffic control, automated vehicles, sewage treatment, power grids, etc. and assist humans to produce an error-free judgment that not only speeds up the entire process but also creates a safer, secure environment around.
Wrapping Up this blog entry about AI and People cooperation
Lastly, I shall culminate the statements by a few tech experts speaking about the idea of humans and machines working together. Humans have always been in fear when a major technological advancement has taken place, but history speaks for itself. These advancements have shifted the humans into a higher level of intelligence, improved quality of life and made the world more humane. Similarly, AI and human collaboration will result in a fruitful symphony of models that better our society and world at large.