During the first approach of the moodboarding, we decided to use the “Monospace” fonts in the project. The device does not render fonts based on vector paths. Each character is processed into a bitmap by the developer before placing it in the device’s memory. Thus, monospace fonts should take fixed-width per character and look legibly. After many attempts with anti-aliasing, it turned out that the old Tahoma wins by readability.
Trying to fix the mistake, we started to test popular sans-serif typefaces like GenevaTT, Nina, Myriad, Helvetic, Neue. But we cornered ourselves by forgetting about one of the most important aspects. Signs such as 1, and, I, L, I,! They start to fade in when reading small sizes not mentioning sports. The final choice was Ubuntu.
Thanks to the support of the UI/UX designers, we could run a successful campaign on Kickstarter raising money for further development of our product. The main challenge was to create a visually appealing interface of the sports watch according to strict requirements form our hardware team. After a week I was able to see the progress to discuss, after 3 weeks I had completed mock-ups & animations which helped me a lot to launch the crowdfunding campaign.